Day & Nightlife in Basel: restaurants, cafés and bars
Switzerland is famous for its fine chocolate and tangy cheese specialities like Fondue or Raclette. But as Switzerland's third largest city, Basel has so much more to offer when it comes to food. We put together some of the best addresses in Basel for you!
HAZIENDA – Your mexican Restaurant in Basel / Weil am Rhein
HAZIENDA - The Restaurant at carathotel Basel / Weil am Rhein: Enjoy hot and spicy specialities of Central American cuisine and international bestsellers. Along with that, we offer refreshing cocktails and sophisticated wines.
There are over 700 restaurants in Basel. The cuisine is based on Swiss, Alsatian and Badenese traditions refined by international influences. Reservations are recommended.
- Acqua: Tuscan taverna, bar, sun terrace and lounge
- Das Schiff: surreal, kitsch 60's and 70’s atmosphere
- Restaurant Kunsthalle Basel
- Restaurant Café Papiermühle
Our Tipp: Eating out might be remarkably cheaper on the German side if the border in Weil am Rhein than on the Swiss side in Basel. Our recommendations:
- Restaurant Adler, Weil am Rhein: upscale traditional cooking
- Restaurant Rebstock, Weil am Rhein: traditional style
- Kellerrestaurant Spatz, Weil am Rhein: upscale traditional cooking
- Gasthaus am Bootssteg, Weil am Rhein: Nice location at the marina - tradiotional food with a view.
- Restaurant Drei König, Lörrach
- Restaurant Sichtwerk, Eimeldingen: Awesome ambiance for great food with regional, mediterrenean and asian influences. Our favorite one!
- Fünfschilling, Eimeldingen: Simple, but real good homemade style.
- Zum alten Salzfass, Efringen-Kirchen: Traditional food.
In Basel, you’ll find numerous charming cafés offering tasty pies, cakes and special pastries. Here’s just a small selection of our favorite locations:
- Confiserie Schiesser located at Basel market (buy a box of “Praliné Maison” as a souvenir)
- Café zum Kuss (enjoy an amazing and exceptional atmosphere in the former cemetery chapel right at the Elisabethenanlage)
- The Da Graziella operates four different cafés in Basel, which serve delicious coffee. Choose from a rich selection of handmade Italian pastries, chocolates and other culinary delights assembled on a seemingly endless counter.
- Rio Bar
- Campari Bar (like the Rio Bar, situated on Barfuesserplatz)
- Grenzwert (Kleinbasel)
- Bar Rouge (in the Messeturm tower)
In addition, in summer there are several seasonal bars along the banks of the Rhine or on the site of the former NT-Areal industrial estate.
Clubs & discos
- Plaza Club – sophisticated, changing events ranging from 60s nights to salsa parties
- Nordstern - changing DJs, especially electronic music
- Musikpark A2 – 3 Floors with House, Oldies and party music, younger audience
- Kuppel – HipHop, Salsa, Alternative
- SUD - Techno, Trance, D’n’B
- Atlantis - House, RNnB, Soul, Oldies
- Kaserne Basel – cultural center with changing concerts, events and parties
Always an up-to-date overview for events and parties in Basel: tilllate.ch >>